Friday, October 8, 2010

Disclaimer before asking for my donation

Before you ask me to give you money for anything, please read this entire blog.
-------------

During the month of September, I worked diligently to raise money for an AIDS Walk that benefited an organization where I serve as a Board Member. AIDS is more than the cause-of-the-month for me. It is a diseased that has shaped my life. Around 1992-1993 my cousin, Wayne Taylor, told me he was positive. At the time, there was not much information about AIDS and HIV other than it was a death sentence. I have always had crazy faith and never gave into grief. I suffered emotionally when he died.

Lesson: I refuse to say a part of me died. I do not believe a part of a person can die while another part lives. Yes, we suffer but we continue to live. (revelation!)

So, when it is time for the AIDS Walk, I am very intent in ensuring I support this cause with donations, time, and support. I understand the trials and challenges of AIDS patients in getting treatment, medications, and adequate housing. Did you know landlords have evicted AIDS patients because they fear they will leave AIDS in the home after they are gone? Yes, unbelievable. Did you know most AIDS drugs cost $250 a month (on the low end) and up to $3,000? Imagine living with a disease that can cause you to be able to run a mile one day and not move the next. How can a person keep such a job. It is very difficult and many find themselves living on public assistance due to not being able to maintain attendance at a job.

SN: Wayne received his disability approval papers the day he died.

I understand the money raised during the AIDS Walk is imperative in providing for patients not able to provide for themselves. Unfortunately, many people do not place AIDS as high on the scale of noteworthy causes such as cancer and abuse. When it is time for the Komen Race for a Cure, thousands show up to donate money, put on their pink, and walk to show their support. When it time for the AIDS Walk, we pray a few hundred show up.

This year, not only did our team raise the most money (which wasn't much), I also gained a new revelation.

I give to many many causes each year. If anyone brings a good cause to my desk, I write a check or give what I have. If a kid is selling popcorn for new band uniforms, I support with a donation. If someone is raising money for their church choirs, I write a check. There are very few causes I do not support. A good portion of my income is used for donations throughout the country; however, when I went to these same people soliciting support for my AIDS Walk team, I left empty handed. Why did this happen? What do they feel it is okay to beg me for money each month/year but not feel a need to return the 'favor/donation'?

I heard many reasons:
  • I have to pay child care
  • I have a mortgage
  • My car payment is due
  • My light bill is huge this month
  • I don't have AIDS (yes, someone told me that)
  • I don't support gay people and their lifestyles (I was unaware AIDS only affected gay people)
Guess what? We all have bills and other obligations. I am sure I had a mortgage, car and electricity bill when I gave to their cause. So, in lieu of complaining about them not giving, I decided to do something about it.

My declaration: I will support those who support me. I am not buying cookies, popcorn, gift wrap paper, magazines, etc to your kids, church, sorority, etc if you do not support me and my causes. In order to receive you must give.

Lesson: Learn and grow. Give and receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment